IMPORTANT SAFETY ADVISORY
GRACO CONVERTIBLE CHILD CAR SEATS
Graco Children’s Products Inc. issued on March 3, 2014 a voluntary Safety Advisory in Canada in conjunction with Transport Canada concerning certain Graco convertible child car seats. Further information pertaining to the Advisory that is being issued in Canada can be found on Transport Canada’s website at www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-menu-907.htm
On certain convertible child car seats, the buckle may become contaminated with foreign material, such as food or dried liquids, and may over time become progressively more difficult to unlatch or become stuck in the latched position. If this occurs, users may experience difficulty unlatching or be unable to unlatch the buckle, which could increase the risk of injury in an emergency situation. The car seats affected by this advisory are:
Nautilus Model No.:
MyRide 65 Model No.:
In Canada, approximately 134,349 of these Graco car seats were sold from January 2009 through March 2014.
Graco would like to stress this does not in any way affect the performance of the car seat or the effectiveness of the buckle to restrain the child.
These car seats were manufactured between January 2009 and July 2013. Seats manufactured after this date use a different harness buckle and are excluded from this action. The safety advisory does not affect Graco infant car seats and travel systems.
The model number, model name and date of manufacture can be found on the underside of the car seat. A typical label looks like this:
Graco offers a new and improved replacement harness buckle to affected consumers at no cost. Registered owners will be sent a letter containing proper care instructions and information on how to obtain a replacement buckle.
Customers with questions or concerns can contact our customer service by email at: email@example.com or by phone at: 1-800-667-8184.
If you are having any problems with your current buckle, please follow the use and cleaning instructions below.
How to unbuckle your harness buckle on your harnessed car seat
For our consumers who are experiencing difficulty unbuckling the harness buckles, we have provided tips to help make it easier, which are to:
- Loosen the harness by lifting the lever and pulling the shoulder harness straps
- Tilt the top of the buckle toward the child’s abdomen
- Press in at the top of the red button
- Pull tongues out of the buckle
How to clean the buckle of your harnessed car Seat
Also, we have found that sometimes the buckles don’t function as expected because they need to be cleaned. To clean your buckle:
- Remove the buckle by turning the restraint over and push the retainer clip through the crotch strap slot.
- Place the buckle in a cup of warm water and gently agitate the buckle, pressing the red button several times while it is in the water.
- Do not submerge the harness webbing and do not use soaps or lubricants, only rinse the harness buckle with warm water.
- Shake out the excess water and allow the harness buckle to air dry.
- Reattach the harness buckle into the same slot and re-check harness for correct installation according to the car seat manual before use.
Download instructions for replacing buckles
Nautilus Buckle Replacement Guide
MyRide Buckle Replacement Guide